Research Scientist, New York University, USA
September 2018 – Present
- Collaborated with the research group of Dr. Elisa Riedo on the development of new ultrahard coatings based on epitaxial graphene in collaboration with industrial partners.
- Developed advanced data analysis frameworks for analysis of Atomic Force Microscope (AFM) images in the framework of DOE-funded projects.
Research Associate, CUNY Advanced Science Research Center, USA
June 2017 – August 2018
- Collaborated with the research group of Dr. Elisa Riedo in the framework of the Nanoscience initiative, a multidisciplinary research group at the CUNY Advanced Science Research Center.
- Conducted AFM experiments for the mechanical, electrical, and chemical characterization of advanced materials, such as Epitaxial Graphene and Q-carbon in the framework of DOE-funded projects.
- Co-authored 4 scientific publications, including a journal paper in Nature Nanotechnology.
- Contributed to the writing and submission of research proposals and preliminary proposals to federal agencies and private investors.
Research Assistant, New York University, USA
Jan. 2013 – May 2017
- Collaborated with the Dynamical Systems Laboratory directed by Dr. Maurizio Porfiri at NYU.
- Coordinated research activities focused on the development of optical and electrical polymeric sensors with collaborators at the University of Waterloo (Dr. Sean D. Peterson) and New York University Abu Dhabi (Dr. Sachin Khapli).
- Performed synthesis and characterization of mechanochromic, thermochromic, and conductive polymers. Designed processes for synthesis of polymer microparticles and capsules.
- Developed physics-based models to predict the constitutive behavior of mechano-chromic elastomers, mechanochromic hydrogels, and ionic polymer metal composites for sensing applications.
- Established image processing procedures to enable force, pressure, and temperature sensing in solids and fluids using mechanochromic polymers and thermochromic polymer particles.
- Co-authored 16 scientific publications in well-respected peer-reviewed international journals and conference proceedings in the fields of applied physics, mechanics, and materials science.
- Mentored 2 graduate, 7 undergraduate, and 2 high school researchers on different engineering projects.
- Organized and taught “Mechanics of Materials Laboratory” and “Statics Laboratory” from Fall 2014 to Spring 2017. Teacher rating (average over 175 students): 4.8/5.
- Organized and funded a 3D Printing Workshop for high school students in collaboration with the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) during Spring 2016.
Visiting Research Assistant, New York University Abu Dhabi, UAE
Jan. 2015 – May 2015
- Conducted research on the chemical synthesis of mechanochromic hydrogels and on the layer-by-layer (LbL) assembly of polymeric thin films on glass surfaces at the Nano and Biomaterials Research Laboratory in collaboration with Dr. Sachin Khapli.
Materials and Process Engineer, Avio S.p.A., Italy
Dec. 2010 – Dec. 2012
- Collaborated with a team of over 1,000 engineers and technicians on the design, manufacturing, and operation of the European Space Agency (ESA) Vega Launcher.
- Conducted process improvement activities for mass reduction of motor cases (carbon fiber composites) and thermal protections (composite rubber).
- Contributed to the refurbishment of industrial equipment in collaboration with external suppliers and consultants.
- Drafted manufacturing documentation and technical reports for clients. Participated in meetings with clients for production planning and quality assurance.
Structural Engineering Intern, E.D.IN. Ltd., Italy
May 2009 – Nov. 2009
- Performed computer-aided design (CAD) and finite elements analysis (FEM) of tunnel boring machines cutterhead for SELI S.p.A.